MV Scuba Explorer
MV Scuba Explorer is an impressive looking Thailand liveaboard yacht that can comfortably accommodate up to 24 divers as it cruises the waters of the Andaman Sea, taking in both the Similans and the southern sites of Hin Daeng and Hin Muang
Length: 37 metres / 121 foot
Beam: 8 metres / 26 foot
Cruise: 12 knots
At just under 37 metres in length
, she is one of the largest steel-hulled liveaboards in Thailand. Despite being a large boat, most diving is done from the very spacious dive deck, although there are 2 tenders on hand when necessary. The Scuba Explorer is now also equipped with enriched air nitrox
, so that suitably qualified divers can make use of this feature, very useful at some of the Thailand's deeper sites.
As you might expect of a liveaboard of this size, there is ample space on board and with 4 decks you can always find a spot to yourself. The large, air-conditioned saloon is where most guests spend their time enjoying the TV, DVD, music system, computer and extensive scuba diving and reference library, well stocked in both English and Japanese.
Music fills the air on the Scuba Explorer since it is piped around the boat, even into your cabins where you have individual control so you can hit the mute button if you are not feeling the beats. There are 3 categories of cabin to choose from, the majority being on the middle deck and therefore commanding impressive views over the glinting ocean. Only the Master cabin (Suite) has en-suite facilities and it also boasts its own TV and DVD system, as well as views over the front and side of the boat.
The Scuba Explorer runs 4 night dive trips to the Similan Islands so if you are looking for a short Thailand liveaboard on a sturdy and impressive boat with excellent communal facilities then look no further.
Scheduled departures, prices, destinations, durations...
More Trip Details
Click 'Book' to send an enquiry for your preferred departure date:
|There are currently no future dates available.|
More Trip Details...
Cruise price per person includes: Cabin accommodation with air-conditioning, breakfast, lunch, dinner, 24-hour snack and beverage bar (fresh fruit, cookies, toast), drinking water, soft drinks, hot drinks, return transfers to the boat from Kata Dive Centre or hotels in Kata, Karon, Patong Beach, dives (as detailed in the trips above), experienced English-speaking divemaster(s) (4-5 divers per DM, tanks, weights and weightbelts.
Cruise price per person excludes (mandatory, unless customer provides own): Scuba equipment (US$ 17 per day) to be paid in advance, Similan and Surin park fees at approximately US$ 6 per day, with an entry fee of US$ 11 per park, from 01 February 2015 US$ 14 per park, are payable upon embarkation. There is a US$ 42 surcharge per person for all Christmas and New Year's cruises. Unless otherwise stated, all the listed items need to be paid on arrival.
Optional extras: Alcoholic drinks, nitrox fills for enriched air certified divers (3 nights = US$ 45, 4 nights = US$ 67, 5 nights = US$ 84), night dives (US$ 34), torches, dive insurance. Unless otherwise stated, all the listed items need to be paid on arrival.
How to get there: The M/V Scuba Explorer liveaboard departs in the evening from Khao Lak for Similan trips and from Chalong or Patong in Phuket for southern trips. A minibus service from all Kata, Karon and Patong Hotels to and from the boat is provided. For more information see our Thailand travel information section.
Non-diver rate: 15% off the published price.
Single supplement (if you do not want to share accommodation): Add 50% to published price.
Dive clubs and group discounts: Pay for 6 guests and receive 1 extra space in a standard cabin free of charge. See whole boat charter prices below, equivalent to pay for 14 guests in Master and Deluxe cabins and receive 10 extra spaces in standard cabins free of charge.
Whole boat charter rate (per night): US$ 3,499.
Cabins, Berths, Showers, Bathrooms...
There are 5 twin bed Standard cabins with portholes on the lower deck, and 5 double/twin bed Deluxe cabins with bay windows and 2 double bed en-suite (private bathroom) Master Suites with front and bay windows on the main deck.
All the cabins have:
- Air conditioning (plus additional fan in Master Suites)
- Music and PA systems
- Reading lights
- Mirror, shelves and cabinet
- Bedding and towels
- Twin prong socket 220V mains outlet - 24 hours per day
- Life jackets
The Master Suites
have a private toilet, hot water shower, and an additional TV and video player, refrigerator and minibar.
No. of bathrooms / showers - 6 / 6 - hot water
Crew, Facilities, Dive Courses...
- 2 Cruise Leaders
- 2-7 Divemasters
- 2 Cooks
- 2 Maids
- 2 Massuesse
- 4 Deck hands
Motorised dinghies - 40m² dive deck and platform with toilets and hot water showers - camera table and rinse tank - 82m² air-conditioned saloon/dining room with TV, video, video projector, music system, computer, printer, CD burner, movie library, fish ID and diving books, games and general book library - 74m² outdoor shaded area - 104m² sundeck with sun chairs and matresses
Menu, Cuisine Type...
- Thai, Italian, Japanese, international and barbeque dinners, lunch and breakfast.
- Buffet service in the upper deck saloon - choose from 4 main dishes per meal.
- All dietary requirements can be catered for - please send prior notice.
- Cruise dining service begins on the first day with a light evening meal.
- Operator rates their dining as good quality and second most important aspect of liveaboard cruise.
- Coffee, tea, soft drinks, drinking water, fruit, biscuits are provided free of charge.
- Beer, wine, fruit juice, iced tea and iced coffee are available for purchase.
- Built in year 2004
- Size - 36.8m x 7.8m
- Weight - 180 tonnes
- Top speed - 16 knots
- Cruising speed - 12 knots
- 2 x 520 HP Nissan engines
- 3 x generators
- 2 x Bauer scuba tank compressors
- 12 & 15 litre K-valve aluminium tanks
- Electricity 220V - 24 hours per day
- Water capacity - 25,000 litres
- Fuel capacity - 15,000 litres
- Fresh water maker - 4,800 litres per day
- Environmental waste storage tank
Navigation, Safety Features...
- 2 Life rafts
- 2 x 20/40 HP dive dinghies
- Global positioning system (GPS)
- Sonic altmeter
- Depth sounder
- VHF and HF radios
- Searchlight and loudhailer
- Full-feature medic first aid box
- Oxygen 3,000 litres - continuous flow
- Life jackets in each cabin
- Fire detectors and alarms
- Fire extinguishers throughout
- Customer diving insurance not included - see our insurance programme for a competitive quotation