MV Undersea Hunter
The Undersea Hunter is a converted steel hull
research boat. It is a small vessel that sleeps only 14 guests
in comfort and has become an icon of the diving scene at Cocos Island, run by the most experienced scuba operator in Cocos.
Length: 28 metres / 92 foot
Beam: 8 metres / 25 foot
Cruise: 9 knots
As both a diving liveaboard and a vessel for camera crew support, the boat is well equipped for underwater photographers and videographers. There is a personal storage system for underwater cameras
as well as a standard camera table and rinse tanks.
Guests are accommodated in air-conditioned cabins with private en-suite bathrooms
. Facilities include an air-conditioned saloon with full entertainment facilities including TV, DVD player and computer, a free laundry service
, a dining area and a sun deck for soaking up the Costa Rican sun. Its custom-built outrigger-mounted stabilising system makes the boat one of the most stable in the industry.
The MV Undersea Hunter runs Cocos diving safaris all year round with trips being either 10 nights or 12 nights in duration. As a great perk at this shark Mecca, nitrox is free of charge
to those divers that are suitably qualified. You may also be able to experience an incredible dive in the DeepSee Submersible
that is housed on board the sister ship MV Argo. Argo must be positioned at Cocos Island at the same time as your cruise for this to be possible.
To ensure your safety, each guest is issued with a personal diver locator
, clipped to their BCD. All diving at Cocos is made from large and well-equipped twin engined fibreglass skiffs, fitted with roofs to shelter you from the Pacific elements. Cocos is a remote, dream scuba destination and it is good to know that you are in such safe hands as those of the experienced crew of the Undersea Hunter.
Scheduled departures, prices, destinations, durations...
More Trip Details
Click 'Book' to send an enquiry for your preferred itinerary:
|Undersea Hunter runs whole boat charter trips in Cocos all year around. Please check with us for availability.|
||Cocos Island 10 Night
||Cocos Island High Season 10 Night
More Trip Details...
Notes: Cocos is a popular destination with limited liveaboard spaces. We recommend you book well in advance to avoid disappointment.
Departure times from Puntarenas vary according to the tides, between 10:00 and 16:00 hrs. You will be informed of your pick-up time from San Jose.
Cruise price per person includes: Cabin accommodation with air-conditioning, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinking water, soft drinks, hot drinks, dives (as detailed in the trips above), experienced English-speaking divemaster(s) (max number of divers per DM is 10), tanks, weights, weightbelt, nitrox fills for enriched air certified divers, personal diver locator (EPIRB).
Cruise price per person excludes (mandatory, unless customer provides own): Scuba equipment (US$ 27 per day), dive insurance (mandatory), departure tax (US$ 29), Cocos Island National Park fee (US$ 490) to be paid in advance, US$ 30 charge for an Emergency Evacuation Plan (mandatory), possible fuel surcharge. Unless otherwise stated, all the listed items need to be paid on arrival (cash or credit card).
Optional extras: Return land transfer from San Jose to Puntarenas US$ 60 to be paid in advance, alcoholic drinks, torches, dive computer, Deep Sea submersible dives (subject to availability, depth range from 100 to 300m, prices range from US$ 1,200 to US$ 1,800). Unless otherwise stated, all the listed items need to be paid on arrival.
How to get there: MV Undersea Hunter departs from Puntarenas. Guests fly into Costa Rica and overnight in San Jose. You will be transferred from your hotel in San Jose to Puntarenas, provided you stay in a recommended hotel. For more information see our Costa Rica travel information section. The last dive of the trip will be at around 12 pm on the second last day of the trip. Please wait at least 18 hours before flying after diving.
Non-diver rate: None.
Single supplement (if you do not want to share accommodation): This is optional - single travellers may choose to share a cabin or pay a supplement of 100% of the published price.
Dive clubs and group discounts: See whole boat charter rate below. Equivalent to pay for 12 guests and receive 2 extra spaces free of charge.
Whole boat charter rate (per night): See above for the published price.
Cabins, Berths, Showers, Bathrooms...
MV Undersea Hunter has 8 air-conditioned cabins, all with private en-suite bathrooms. There is 1 double bed cabin with windows on the upper deck and 7 double/twin bunk bed cabins with portholes on the lower deck.
All the cabins have:
- Individual control air-conditioning
- Private bathroom with hot water shower, hand basin, toiletries and towels
- Portholes (lower deck) or window (upper deck)
- Reading lights
- Cabinet, shelves and mirror
- Fire warning system
- Fire extinguishers are in the hallway
- 2-flat pin 110-220V electricity
- Bedding and space for luggage
No. of bathrooms / showers - 7 / 8 - hot water
Crew, Facilities, Dive Courses...
The crew of 7 comprise:
- 2 Divemasters
- 2 Deck Hands/Engineer
Complimentary nitrox - 80m² Dive deck with personal storage bins for each diver and a fresh water shower - Personal camera storage spaces with power outlets - Camera table and rinse tanks - Main deck air-conditioned saloon with dining area - TV, DVD, music system, movie library, books and magazines - Espresso machine - Satellite telephone, e-mail facility, fax and cellphone - Computer, CD burner, photo and video editing facilities - Free laundry service - Sundeck and shaded area with sun chairs and mats - Sea kayaks
All diving in Cocos is made from the 2 x 8m fibreglass skiffs. The skiffs are 115 HP twin engine boats built for 10 divers with sun shade, camera storage area, emergency oxygen, radio, first aid kits, rugged exit ladders, and deck lights for night diving. Customer scuba gear stays on the skiffs at all times, so there is no need to load and unload after each dive.
Menu, Cuisine Type...
Meals on the Undersea Hunter are served buffet style and consist of breakfast, lunch and dinner, with snacks and treats between dives. You can expect a mixture of international dishes with influences from Costa Rica as well as a barbecue during your trip for those who love simplicity.
- Buffet-style meals consist of breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in-between.
- Snacks offered are biscuits, candy bars, ice creams, fruit, bread and toast.
- Coffee, tea, drinking water, soft drinks and a beer after your last dive are provided free of charge.
- Wine and other beers are available for purchase on board.
- All dietary requirements including vegetarian can be catered for - please send advanced notice.
- Catering begins with lunch on the day of check-in.
- Built in year 1968, restored in 1990
- Size - 28m x 7.5m
- Weight - 180 gross tonnes
- Top speed - 10 knots
- Cruising speed - 9 knots
- 2 x 240 HP Caterpillar engines
- 3 x John Deere generators: 2 x 65 KW & 1 x portable 5 KW
- 2 x Mako compressors
- Enriched air nitrox
- 12 litre aluminium scuba tanks with A-clamp valves (15 litre tanks for rent in advance)
- Electricity - 110/220V 24 hours per day
- Water capacity - 9,000 litres
- Fresh water maker - 5,000 litres per day
- Fuel capacity - 52,900 litres
Navigation, Safety Features...
- 2 x life rafts
- 2 x 115 HP diving tenders
- Furuno 64 & 42 mile radars
- 2 x fixed & 3 handheld VHF radios
- ICOM fullband & SEA 222 SSB radio telephones
- 2 x Magellan & 1 Furuno GPS
- 2 Depth sounders
- SAT-COM telephone & datalink system
- Mini personnel locators
- Searchlight, horn & life rings
- MFA box and trained staff
- Emergency oxygen - 6,800 litres, plus extra large tanks
- Fire extinguishers and life jackets
- Customer scuba insurance not included and is MANDATORY - see our insurance programme for a competitive quotation