From the same operator as Taka comes one of the leading Cairns liveaboards, Ocean Quest. This boat lives on the Great Barrier Reef and is accessed via speedboat transfer from Cairns. Trips can range for 2 nights to as long as you wish, with the diving concentrated on Saxon, Norman, Hastings and Michaelmas reefs.
Length: 36 metres / 119 foot
Beam: 13 metres / 43 foot
Cruise: 14 knots
Ocean Quest is a 36 metre
catamaran diving boat and is therefore both stable and spacious. There are 23 cabins spread over 3 decks, ranging from double/twin berth to quad cabins. All cabins are air-conditioned with TVs and en-suite bathrooms
. Guests tend to socialise most in the lounge and enjoy the bar, library, games and full entertainment facilities.
There is a dedicated air-conditioned dining area which can accommodate even the maximum of 48 guests. Ocean Quest caters for snorkellers, certified and introductory divers. It is more spacious than many of Cairns' other Great Barrier Reef cruise boats and this, together with the en-suite facilities and range of cabins, makes it a popular choice.
Scheduled departures, prices, destinations, durations...
More Trip Details
Click 'Book' to send an enquiry for your preferred itinerary:
|These dive cruise itineraries are available for departure every day|
||Cairns Barrier Reef 2 Night
||Cairns Barrier Reef 3 Night
||Cairns Barrier Reef 4 Night
More Trip Details...
Book now and pay only a 20% deposit to secure your space on board. Offer expires: 31 Dec 2015
Cruise price per person includes: Cabin accommodation with air-conditioning, breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinking water, hot drinks, Cairns city transfers to boat (excluding from northern beaches), dives (as detailed in the trips above), tanks, weights, weightbelts, dive equipment.
Cruise price per person excludes (mandatory, unless customer provides own): Dive insurance, reef and port authority fee US$ 14 per person per day. Unless otherwise stated, all the listed items need to be paid on arrival.
Optional extras: Soft drinks, alcoholic drinks, towels (bring your own), snacks, torches. Unless otherwise stated, all the listed items need to be paid on arrival.
How to get there: You will be picked up from your Cairns hotel at approximately 07:45 am. Departures from Cairns are daily, with speedboat transfers to the OceanQuest on the Outer Great Barrier Reef. You will select your equipment and do 2 dives before transferring to the liveaboard. For more information on getting to Cairns see our How to get there section. The last dive of the tour will be at around 3 pm on the last day of the trip. Please wait at least 18 hours before flying after diving.
Non-diver rate: Between 15% and 25% off the published price, depending on duration of trip.
Single supplement (if you do not want to share accommodation): Various supplements apply. Please check with us.
Dive clubs and group discounts: Please contact us to enquire about group discounts.
Whole boat charter rate (per night): There is none available for this boat. Please contact us to enquire for a full charter.
Cabins, Berths, Showers, Bathrooms...
The Cairns liveaboard, Ocean Quest, has a total of 23 en-suite cabins, each with its own TV. There are 18 twin bed cabins - 14 on the main deck, 1 on the upper deck and 3 on the lower deck; 4 Queen-sized double bed cabins - 1 on the upper deck and 3 on the lower deck; and 1 quad (4 berth) cabin on the lower deck.
All the cabins have:
- En-suite bathroom with hot water shower
- Hand basin and towels
- Personal TV and music system
- Cabinet, mirror and shelves
- Reading lamp
- 24-hour, 240v electricity supply
- Fire warning system
- Fire extinguisher and life jackets
No. of bathrooms / showers - 27 / 27 - hot water
Crew, Facilities, Dive Courses...
The crew comprises 16 staff:
- 4 Dive Instructors
- 3 Divemasters / Deck Hands
- Cruise Leader
- 3 Hosts
65m² Dive deck and platform with toilets and fresh hot water showers - 2 Motorised dive dinghies - Separate rinse tank for cameras - 190m² Air-conditioned saloon with TV, DVD and sound system - 100m² Dedicated air-conditioned restaurant area - 50m² External shaded area - 50m² Sun deck with sun chairs and matresses - Movie library, games and magazines - Fish ID and diving books - Water dispenser - Well-stocked bar
Menu, Cuisine Type...
Food is taken seriously on Cairns' Ocean Quest, with both breakfast and lunch being served buffet style. Breakfast consists of bacon, sausages, eggs, breads and cereals. Dinner is served, with second servings available, buffet style. Lunch and dinner normally consist of a meat or seafood main course with side dishes of vegetables. Lasagne is a particular specialty.
Desserts include chef's favourites such as sticky date pudding and apple pie with ice cream, often served after night dives. Chef's check on arrival if guests have any dietary requirements such as vegetarians, vegans, gluten free, and can cater to such needs.
- Meals of an international flavour are served buffet style in the dedicated air-conditioned restaurant on the main deck.
- Main meals comprise breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Tea, coffee and drinking water are available free of charge throughout the day.
- Chocolate bars, biscuits, ice creams, soft drinks, beer, wine and spirits are available at extra charge.
- Vegetarians and most other special diets are catered for.
- Catering begins with lunch on check-in day for your cruise of the Great Barrier Reef.
- Built in 1989, refurbished in 2007
- Size - 36m x 13m
- Top speed - 15.5 knots
- Cruising speed - 13.5 knots
- 2 x 465 KW Caterpillar engines
- 2 x 180 KW Caterpillar 3306 generators
- 2 x Bauer scuba tank compressors
- Various sized aluminium tanks with K valves
- Electricity 240v - 24-hours per day
- Water capacity - 10,000 litres
- Fuel capacity - 33,000 litres
- Freshwater maker - 1,500 litres per day
- Environmental storage tank
Navigation, Safety Features...
- 2 x 10 person 30 HP dinghies
- Life raft
- Furuno radio
- Furuno radar
- Furuno GPS
- Furuno autopilot
- Furuno plotter
- Furuno sounder
- Satellite and mobile phones
- Engine room CCTV
- Bilge pump alarm
- Searchlight and horn
- Fire alarm / detectors
- Life jackets in cabins
- Fire extinguishers, hoses and blanket throughout
- MFA box and trained staff
- 5,000 litres of DV and continuous-flow oxygen
- Customer dive insurance NOT provided - see our insurance programme for a competitive quotation